‘Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.’
‘An artist cannot fail, it is a success to be one.’
‘Creativity takes courage.’
St Francis of Assisi Church of England Primary School understands that high quality Art lessons will inspire children to develop individual creativity. Art lessons should engage, challenge and invigorate children’s knowledge and skills and enable them to experiment with their own ideas to develop creative procedural understanding.
We believe that Art is a practical and engaging way of establishing individual pride and confidence. Art in our school is about developing children’s ability to explore, reflect on ideas and experiment with their skills. Art lessons will provide opportunities to develop an understanding of Art historical chronology complimenting the History curriculum. Our Art curriculum provides children with a broad range of skills and knowledge. At their time throughout St Francis of Assisi Church of England Primary School, we endeavour for our children to have knowledge about contemporary, local and specialist artists, designers and craftsmen and to build an understanding of pride and purpose within their own creations.
Art in our school should:-
- be enjoyable and exciting
- challenge our thinking
- help us to find out about human creativity
- help us to realise our individual creative skills and imagination
- help us to develop confidence in ourselves
- inspire our futures
- give us knowledge of creativity that shapes cultures around the world
- be a working progress that continually develops
- link to our other subjects
- help us to reflect on our own ideas
Please click here for a copy of our Expressive Art and Design long term plan including the National Curriculum Programmes of Study for Key Stages 1 and 2.