Learning a foreign language is part of the primary National Curriculum and is a requirement for all children within key stage 2 (KS2). Our aim is to develop the confidence and competence of each child in the foreign language they are learning. Our goal is for them to be passionate, curious and confident about their own foreign language learning abilities when they finish the primary school phase of their education.
Learning a language enriches the curriculum, providing excitement, enjoyment and challenge for children and teachers, helping to create enthusiastic learners and to develop positive attitudes to language learning throughout life. The natural links between languages and other areas of the curriculum can enhance the overall teaching and learning experience. The skills, knowledge and understanding gained make a major contribution to the development of children’s oracy and literacy and to their understanding of their own culture/s and those of others. Language also lies at the heart of ideas about individual identity and community, and learning another language can do a great deal to shape children’s understanding of the wider world as well as giving them a new perspective on their own language.
Our aims of teaching Languages at St Francis of Assisi Primary school are for children to:
- Ignite a passion for learning a foreign language and curiosity to foster life-long learning through providing an excellent, ambitious, broad and balanced foreign language education which motivates all pupils.
- become aware that language has a structure, and that this structure differs from one language to another;
- develop speaking and listening skills.
- gain enjoyment, pride and a sense of achievement;
- explore and apply strategies to improve their learning;
- explore their own cultural identities and those of others to deepen their understanding of the world therefore encouraging children to value everyone as unique individuals and celebrate the distinctive and diverse nature of our community and the wider world.
- equip children with the foundations to be able to communicate, study and /or work in a foreign country if desired, enabling them to flourish beyond our school community.
Please click here for a copy of our table showing the EYFS and National Curriculum Programmes of Study for Key Stages 1 and 2 for Languages.
The school has a clear progression document for pupils throughout EYFS, KS1 and KS2. Please contact school if you would like a copy.
Please click here for a copy of our long term overview. Further details about the implementation can be found by contacting Miss Brazier (our Languages Lead).