St Francis of Assisi Primary school understands that all children have varying interests and abilities that allow them to shine as individuals. As a school, we are committed to develop each child holistically in order for them to express themselves freely and without prejudice. Music allows for children to express themselves in this way.
We believe that music is an art form that is built up through teaching specific skills that children can transfer into performance and composition. The subjective nature of music allows children to express many opinions that may conflict with their peers and in our school we encourage children to share their opinions freely and unobjectively in discussions about music.
Music in our school should:
• Develop through each year group building on their previously learnt skills.
• Be fun and engaging.
• Be practical.
• Be challenging to develop resilience and perseverance.
• Give us experiences inside and outside the classroom.
• Help us to communicate our ideas, emotions and beliefs.
• Develop new ways of thinking and understanding.
• Link to other subjects including; History, English, Geography, Maths and Art
Please click here for a copy of our Music long term plan including the National Curriculum Programmes of Study for Key Stages 1 and 2.