At St Francis of Assisi Primary school, we understand that all children have varying interests and abilities that allow them to shine as individuals. As a school we are committed to develop each child holistically for them to express themselves freely and without prejudice. Music allows for children to express themselves in this way. We believe that music is an art form that is built up through teaching specific skills, knowledge of vocabulary and understanding of musical forms that children can transfer into performance and composition. The subjective nature of music allows children to express many opinions that may conflict with their peers and in our school, we encourage children to share their opinions freely and un-objectively in discussions about music.
Music in our school should:
- Develop through each year group building on their previously learnt skills.
- Be fun and engaging.
- Be practical.
- Be challenging to develop resilience and perseverance.
- Give us experiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Help us to communicate our ideas, emotions and beliefs.
- Develop new ways of thinking and understanding.
- Link to other subjects including History, English, Geography, Maths and Art.
Please click here for a copy of our table showing the EYFS and National Curriculum Programmes of Study for Key Stages 1 and 2 for Music.
The school has a clear progression document for pupils throughout EYFS, KS1 and KS2. Please contact school if you would like a copy.
Please click here for a copy of our long term overview. Further details about the implementation can be found by contacting Mr Taylor (our Music Lead).